24 September 2014

thanks McDonald's

I have been really poor three times in my life. Once I moved to Orlando with my bestie and we lived off Ramen and 99¢ frozen dinners. Next, I moved to London and lived of lunches subsidized by my employer and frosted wheat.  It's 15 years since Orlando and ten since London. I'm an adult or should be, with no exceptions. But I'm writing this from a Honolulu McDonald's where I just counted out change, the last of my change, to get a burger and fries.  If that seems bad to you, remember that last night I had cheetos and the night before a mochi.

So why am I telling you this? At first I wanted to complain about eating at McDonald's but the truth is my jalapeño double cheese burger for $2 is pretty tasty.  Then I thought I would complain about the general suckiness of being poor when you are 34, single, and have a good job. But I realized that this is awesome. I'm chilling by myself (because in normal circumstances I would never eat here and I would do anything to not hang out with myself) writing this blog. I'm remembering the awesomeness of my thrifty adventures and the love I have for the people I shared them with. So thank you McDonald's for food, AC,  and Internet. And thank you universe for using a lack of funds  to help me appreciate all that I have.

No comments: